Our Story

It all Began...

On Tuesday, August 12, 1868, a small group of 50 Norwegian pioneers met in a sod house for services in the Lutheran Faith and it was unanimously agreed to name the new congregation "Nidaros" since all the charter members were originally from the Trondheim area of Norway originally called Nidaros.

All worship, discussion and business was spoken and written in Norwegian.  Since the pastor had such a long distance to travel, another service was not held until July, 1869.  It was held in the newly constructed log schoolhouse and the first confirmation was held that day.  The first religious school was held in 1871, the records show it lasted 44 days and the pupils were a total of 18.

Our first Pastor... 

The first resident pastor was in October 1873, Rev. Ole O. Sando, he was 24 years old when he was installed as the new pastor.  When Pastor Sando was installed in 1873, the Nidaros membership had grown to approximately 200.    Living quarters for the new pastor was agreed to be provided for a nominal sum of $5.50 a month and his annual salary was $200.00 plus free-will offerings at Christmas, Easter and Pentecost.  Over the ensuing 30 years of his ministry he was called the "prairie preacher" as he would sometimes be gone for several weeks at a time and would travel as far as 200 miles at one time.

First Church Structure...

 A new church structure was enclosed by December 1877, and by March 1878, services were being held in the new church.  Only 3 Sunday services and 3 weddings were held in the church before the new church was destroyed by a strong wind storm in the early morning hours of April 9, 1878.  The congregation collected an additional $300.00 and with volunteer help it cost $290.00 to rebuild the church from the wrecked timbers.
 
 
Discussion was begun at a congregational meeting in October of 1882 about repairing the church or perhaps dividing the congregation.  No decision was reached, but the debate continued until it finally reached the boiling point on May 8, 1884.  The West siders wanted to divide the congregation, and the East siders wanted to improve the church.  A vote to divide the congregation failed, and it was decided to improve the church as funds because available.

Our Second Pastor...

Due to failing health, Pastor Sando resigned in August of 1903.  The congregation decided to call Rev. Nils N. Boe as the new pastor and the offer was accepted.  The Nidaros parsonage was completed by the fall of 1904 at the cost of $2,600.00.

Churches Divide...

For years the debate to divide the churches continued and on October 10, 1910 it was finally agreed to remain as one parish, but separate churches.  At the 1911 annual meeting in December, a decision was made by the congregation to give the old church to members in and around Baltic, so in March of 1912 the Old Church was pulled to Baltic on rollers with real horse power.  The Old Church moved 3 miles into Baltic a few feet at a time across the street from the parsonage.

After the decision of the Renner Congregation to form as a separate congregation in 1957, Baltic and East Nidaros decided to do the same.  By June 1, 1958, the Baltic and East Nidaros congregations had withdrawn from the Old Nidaros parish to form the Baltic Lutheran Parish.

Pages